Head west for Outback 'Eventure'
Tourism Queensland has launched a new ‘Outback Eventures’ campaign that aims to encourage Aussies to get out and explore their own backyard and experience the colour and characters of Outback Queensland
The campaign will shine the spotlight on 10 events between July and November, from the legendary Birdsville Races, to the largest rodeo event in the Southern Hemisphere held in Mt Isa, and an Oktoberfest with a twist, as well as fishing festivals, opera and mustering events.
Events in Outback Queensland make an important economic contribution to the regional economy, with visitors often staying longer and spending more while they're there.
Last year's Birdsville Races, which is the Outback's largest racing carnival, saw the town swell from 100 to 6,000 and the event is estimated to have generated more than $4 million for the local economy.
In 2011 Outback Queensland welcomed 381,000 international and domestic visitors who stayed for more than two million nights.
Roll out your swag at these Outback Queensland 'Eventures':
- Stockman's Hall of Fame Horse Expo & Campdraft - Longreach: July 26-29
- Curry Merry Muster Festival - Cloncurry: August 3-5
- Xstrata Mount Isa Rotary Rodeo: August 10-12
- Drovers Camp Festival - Camooweal: August 24-26
- Birdsville Races: August 31-September 1
- Bedourie Ute and Travellers Muster: September 7-8
- Opera in the Outback - Undara Experience: October 4-6
- Jundah Annual Races and Oktoberfest: October 5-7
- Lake Moondarra Fishing Classic: October 26-28
- Cunnamulla Fella Festival: November 8-10.
For more information, head to www.adventureoutback.com.au